Successful website pages are those that strike a balance between beautiful design and engaging content. They also inspire trust and convert visitors to loyal followers and customers. Each page, image, and button speaks for your brand, connecting you with people who come in search of the solutions you offer.
10 Steps for Developing Website Content
Your website content development should plan for the what, where, and when of content creation. Whether you’re creating a new site from scratch or refreshing your old one, here are 10 key steps for developing website content that attracts, engages, and converts.
- What is your brand’s singular value proposition? This forms the foundation for all the content created for your website. Make sure it is relevant to and of value to your targeted audience. In other words, have a consistent useful message that spans all website pages.
- Are you starting to create content from scratch, or are you re-writing and adding to existing content? What current content has been shown to work well and what needs to be removed? Conducting a content audit gives you a clear view of what’s needed and where you should start.
- Create multiple buyer personas and then create content that speaks to each person’s interests and needs, addresses their pain points, and answers their questions.
- In one way or another, all content should lead prospects down the sales funnel. Use a variety of content that addresses where a customer is in the funnel. For example, blog posts are great for building awareness, but testimonials and case studies are often best for helping leads decide whether to make a purchase.
- Your website’s content offers customers information about your company, your philosophy, and products and services. Each page and/or piece of content serves an essential role in educating your audience. Be sure to include a stand-out home page, a blog, whitepapers, eBooks, case studies and testimonials, an engaging about us page, FAQs, videos, and images.
- Write great persuasive website content that informs, educates, and guides your readers. Keep it focused on the audience, providing information your customers seek. Above all else, make it easy for visitors to your website to complete whatever action they have in mind or one you’d like them to take.
- It’s imperative that you speak your audience’s language. Don’t assume your readers know all the jargon in your industry; many won’t. For those who do, offer more technical information that illustrates your expertise.
- Develop an editorial calendar. Map out what type of content you need, the topics you’ll cover, and publish dates. Depending on the industry, you may need to do one for each month, quarter, or the entire year.
- Determine who will be responsible for each part of the content process. Assigning the right people to the right content tasks is essential for a well-designed site. If your organization lacks the internal sources to develop website content, consider working with an outside service. No matter which route you choose, content consistency is key.
- The only way to know if your website content is performing is to measure and track its performance. It’s important to understand what is and isn’t gaining traction and how people are interacting with your site. Pay attention to how long readers stay with your content. Which content got the most engagement? Be sure to refresh content often so that your website stays relevant and offers value to your readers.
The Bottom Line
A website content development strategy is essential to your online success. Today’s digital landscape offers a wealth of opportunity, but it is driven by quality content. Use these 10 steps when developing your website content and you’ll increase traffic, generate more quality leads, and convert more visitors into loyal customers.