If you write blog posts for a living, you already know there are certain things you need to excel at:
- Killer headlines that get the clicks.
- Clear, easy-to-digest content that is informative and above all else, useful to the reader.
- The ability to craft original content on a consistent basis.
- Rewriting and editing.
The best blog writers know something else just as important: that seeking out peers, staying inspired, and keeping themselves informed are a sure path to blog writing success.
Here, in no particular order, are 10 terrific creative writing blogs that will help you become not only a better blog writer, but one of the best.
10 Creative Writing Blogs
- Jenny Bravo Books. Jenny Bravo started her blog to document the writing and publishing of her first novel. She gives terrific writing advice and offers free eBooks. Her Twitter feed, @JennyBravoBooks is definitely worth a follow.
- Writers Helping Writers’ stated mission is to offer help and support that empowers writers everywhere. They offer a ton of writing tools, put out a linked-filled newsletter, and recommend books and podcasts devoted to writing.
- Goins, Writer. Jeff Goins is the well-known, best-selling author of five books, including “The Art of Work” and “Real Artists Don’t Starve.” He uses his blog to share his thoughts on writing, life, and creative work. He averages one new article and podcast per week, each filled with encouraging words of wisdom from someone who knows of what he speaks.
- Writer Unboxed is all about empowering writers about the craft and business of fiction. The site includes a diverse group of contributors – from the unpublished to bestselling authors. It also has an active Twitter feed @WriterUnboxed.
- The Write Practice has free self-guided tutorials to help you become a better writer faster. The good people behind this blog firmly believe that everyone can become a great writer if they commit to practicing the craft on a regular basis.
- The Creative Penn, is committed to helping you get published. Author Joanna Penn has written 23 books, many of them bestsellers, and her blog contains many inspiring posts on writing, self-publishing, book marketing and more. The site also has plenty of articles, podcast episodes, videos, books and courses.
- Steven Pressfield Online. The screenwriter and author Steven Pressfield may be best known for his admonition to writers to “do the work.” His book, “The War of Art” is essential if you want to understand how to get unblocked. The blog is filled with incredible advice, great stories, some free stuff, and writer recommendations.
- Write to Done has a terrific blog post on the 10 best creative writing exercises, all guaranteed to get your creative juices flowing. The popular blog is filled with similar posts, covering topics that range from increasing productivity to curing writer’s block.
- Where to start with the Reedsy Blog? Reedsy is known for their dedication to finding top talent and helping them get published. The blog is invaluable for any writer who wants to better understand the craft and be inspired by other writers' successes. Much more than a blog, the Reedsy Marketplace helps you connect with the industry's best editors, designers, marketers and ghostwriters.
- Writers Write believes in the power of words and is a one-stop shop for advice and creative writing articles, many of them for blog writers. You’ll find fun prompts, book reviews, comics, and inspiring quotes on writing, as well as practical courses in blogging.
The Bottom Line
As writer Anne Lamott famously said, “Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts. You need to start somewhere.” Great blog post writers who create content that readers devour are not born, they become great through dedication, practice, and learning from their peers. These 10 creative writing blogs offer a ton of motivation and inspiration, as well as exceptional knowledge about the craft. They’ll inspire you to stay on track as you make your way to blog writing glory